Roger Clemens "unretires"

Was geht ab in der amerikanischen Profiliga?
- Fragen und Diskussionen darüber sind hier das Thema.
- Außerdem: Wie kann man MLB in Deutschland sehen/hören?
FarmAnimal
Allstar
Allstar
Roger Clemens "unretires"

Beitrag von FarmAnimal »

Ich habe gerade bei http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp
gelesen daß Roger Clemens im 2004 bei den Astros spielen wird!!!

Die Astros in 2004 sind 50% Yankees von 2003. Sh*t!!!

madmark9
Allstar
Allstar

Beitrag von madmark9 »

:cry:
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted and then used against you."
JCS
Allstar
Allstar
Beitrag von JCS »

Roger wird's nie lernen...
Wie kann man nur einen solchen Moment verderben?

---------------------------
USATODAY.com

Houston, the Rocket's problem is being hired gun

Roger Clemens has a great talent for ruining a good thing. Like that World Series night he made the New York Mets look smaller than a resin bag, only to steal his own thunder — on Vince McMahon's cue — by throwing the jagged remains of a bat at recovering beanball victim Mike Piazza.
So it was no surprise Clemens showed up Monday at Don't You Dare Call Me Enron Field under a Houston Astros cap, with his nose running an inch longer than Pete Rose's. The Rocket had blasted through his own prison without bars — a 15-minute retirement — to throw heat for his hometown team and set ablaze about the most stunning farewell scene a sports event had ever staged.

The Florida Marlins' players, coaches and fans stood and cheered Clemens after he dusted Luis Castillo to close out the seventh inning of the fourth game of the 2003 World Series. What a moment. What a night. The Marlins were naked and alone at the end of a swaying limb, defying the primal tenets of competition and manhood by saluting an enemy pitcher who had fired high and hard to one of their own (Miguel Cabrera), survived Cabrera's homer and threatened to destroy their championship aims while all of South Florida jostled for position to freeze his final pitches in its exploding camera lights.

Wonder how those good sports feel now that they'll someday tell their grandchildren they watched the indomitable Roger Clemens finish the 20th season of his 23-year career.

When Clemens next appears at Pro Player Stadium, Marlins fans should use their disposables as their vehicles of retribution, blinding him on each and every pitch. When Clemens next appears in New York, Yankees fans should execute a hostile takeover of Shea Stadium to personally thank Clemens for dragging them across a fraudulent victory tour.

The devotion to going out a Yankee. The standing ovation from a forgiving Fenway Park crowd. The pursuit of a 300th victory that lasted longer than the War of 1812. The press conference promises to retire and retire for good, pledges that had Hall of Fame officials bottling every drop of sweat Clemens would spill while working himself into his maniacal pregame lather.

They're all gone now because Clemens wants to reunite with his cabana boy, Andy Pettitte, who stood side by side with his idol in Astros jerseys — Nos. 21 and 22 — as if to betray the claim of a George Steinbrenner minion in a Seinfeld skit. "No Yankee," George Costanza barked, "is ever comin' to Houston."

Steinbrenner himself said Clemens "told the world he was retiring and we had no choice but to believe him." While it's impossible to feel sorry for the gluttonous Yankees now that Clemens, Pettitte and David Wells have hit the road, the Rocket owed the Boss a better deal. Steinbrenner once lifted weights in his Texas home, twice chased him like a lovesick schoolgirl and so much wanted No. 300 wrapped in pinstripes that he ignored advisers who thought Clemens should've been let go last winter.

More than anything, Steinbrenner allowed Clemens to repair his lousy postseason legacy. "I'm surprised Roger came back," said the Yankee who needed no such October help, Reggie Jackson. "He's going to play with his best friend, going to where he can sleep in his own bed, and returning to have more good times in the game he loves, so I can understand it. But it will certainly be tough to duplicate an ending like a standing ovation at the World Series from the other team. You have to figure out the right time to leave, and in my opinion that was the right time for Rocket."

Nobody remembers Salt Lake City cheering when Michael Jordan made his alleged farewell pitch — a dagger of a jumper punctuated by perfect follow-through form. So Jordan didn't speak from that perspective when he advised Clemens to join his very own band of Washington Wizards.

"Obviously," the Rocket would say, "I feel I still have a lot to give."

Namely a World Series championship to a town in dire need. "That's the only reason why I came out of retirement," Clemens said. "If you can call that retirement."

By his own admission, this isn't for the sons who gave their fathers Astros caps for Christmas. This isn't for family and friends as much as it is for a 41-year-old man who proved, once again, that he's a gun for hire.

Now Clemens can turn 310 victories into 317. Now Clemens can blow past Steve Carlton's total of 4,136 strikeouts and stand alone in second place on the all-time list, behind Nolan Ryan's 5,714.

He should've quit while he was ahead, way ahead.

But the Rocket roars on and sacrifices the same "credibility" Astros GM Gerry Hunsicker listed among the Clemens assets sure to lift the franchise to "a new level."

Houston's latest recruit has already set a new standard for false advertising. So before he digs in against salivating National League pitchers, Clemens should understand he's already taken one on the chin.

---

Ian O'Connor also writes for The (Westchester County, N.Y.) Journal News
The Rock
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Beitrag von The Rock »

ich denke, dieses verstehen eben nur Leute die den Sport in ihrem Blut haben. Leute wie MJ, Maradona oder Roger Clemens hören einfach nicht von heute auf morgen auf ihr Leben zu leben
There may be no"I" in team, but there are 2 in Schilling.
Bild Bild Bild
Mad-Matt
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Beitrag von Mad-Matt »

bin gespannt was mit dem Hummer passiert
We ain't good... but we are funny! ~ Tom Ford
Manny
Jugendsprecher bbsj
Jugendsprecher bbsj

Beitrag von Manny »

@Rock*bot:
Ja schon, aber er hats echt versaut,
300 wins und 4000 k's zum retieren sind perfekt!!!
Aber nein, er muss ja einer dieser alten Säcke werden,
die keiner mehr sehen will!
"It's not enough to be a great player,
you got to be a great person off the field, too!"
Albert Pujols
----------------------------------------
"unmöglich ist keine Tatsache
sondern eine Meinung!"
Baseballspieler

Beitrag von Baseballspieler »

es wäre DER Moment zum Aufhören gewesen....geldgeil?(wobei man als coach
auch ned schlecht verdienen tät)...Angst zu lange daheim sein zu müssen?.....
Mad-Matt
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Beitrag von Mad-Matt »

geldgeil bei 5 Millionen? glaub ich net.. vor allem bekommt er im ersten jahr nur 1,5 millionen und dann 3,5 in dem jahr wo er nicht mehr spielt.

Mein gott, er wohnt in Houston, seine kinder haben ihm ne houston cap zu weihnachten geschenkt und wollen ihn dort sehen und sein bester freund (andi pettite) is auch dabei. außerdem ist in Houston dieses jahr all-star game und super bowl. und sie haben eine gute chance auf die World Series also wird das eines der aufregensten jahre für Rocket..

Meiner meinung nach hat er das richtige getan. So kann er wenigstens sagen er hatt das letzte spiel in seiner heimatstadt verbracht und nicht in NYC..

und im gegensatz zu Wells hat Clemens noch Reserven.. Er hatt(!) eine gute saison hingelegt und es gibt so gesehen keinen grund aufzuhören.
Er wollte zwar noch gold in Olympia holen was jetzt nicht mehr klappt aber hey, dafür kann er den Jubel in Houston geniesen..
und er kann endgültig nr. 2 in der All-time K-Liste werden, direkt hinter Nolan Ryan
We ain't good... but we are funny! ~ Tom Ford
kai47
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
Beitrag von kai47 »

@manny:

ich weiß nicht wie alt du bist, aber bestimmt bist du schon ein ganz großer, wenn du clemens einen alten sack nennst, den keiner mehr sehen will...

solang dir keiner wenigstens 0,5 mio bietet, hab bitte ein klein wenig
respekt!

kai47
The only one who could have caught it, hit it!
HeLd VoM eRdBeErFeLd
Allstar
Allstar
Beitrag von HeLd VoM eRdBeErFeLd »

way to go, kai ...
I lead the league in "Go get 'em next time".

Bild
cäpt'n chaos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Beitrag von cäpt'n chaos »

Mariners/Cubs Jr. hat geschrieben:bin gespannt was mit dem Hummer passiert
Den einen muss er wohl zurückgeben, bekommt aber von einem anderen Sponsor einen neuen geschenkt!!!!!
Fight, fight, you'll never win
This is your life, this is our time
This is my life, don't waste my time
JCS
Allstar
Allstar
Beitrag von JCS »

@kai, held:
Ich geb Manny recht. Es ist einfach zu sehr ein Phänomen heute im Baseball, dass die Leute nicht aufhören können, wenn es die richtige Zeit ist. Nur so zeigt man zum Schluss auch, dass man ein ganz grosser ist.

Keiner wollte diesen Wizards-Nachgeschmack bei MJ. Jeder wollte ihn in Erinnerung behalten, wie er mit dem letzten Pass Steve Kerr einsetzt, um die letzte Meisterschaft zu gewinnen.
Und wie wahrscheinlich ist es nun für Rocket, dass er nochmal in der WS eine Dugout ovation im geg. Stadion bekommt nach dem letzten K...

So Leute wie Doc Gooden oder Darryl Strawberry, das sind die Säcke, die Manny meint und die keiner mehr sehen will. Mir tun (taten) die nur leid.
Und was vom einen aufs andere Jahr passieren kann, hat man bei McGwire gesehen...

CU, JCS
HeLd VoM eRdBeErFeLd
Allstar
Allstar
Beitrag von HeLd VoM eRdBeErFeLd »

denen ist es doch recht herzlich egal, was ihr/wir von ihnen denken!

sie hatten ihre "ovationen" schon - wozu brauchen sie sie den nochmal?

die haben lust, die kugel zu werfen, schlage, fangen ...

ich habe keine schlechten erinnerungen an MJ - man sollte sich halt an das positive erinnern ... aber das ist ja bekanntlich eine tugend ...
I lead the league in "Go get 'em next time".

Bild
Manny
Jugendsprecher bbsj
Jugendsprecher bbsj

Beitrag von Manny »

Naja, einerseits ist das schon hart,
einfach so aufzuhören zu spielen,
es ist ihnen ja vertraglich nicht gestattet,
nachher noch irgendwo anders zu spielen!
Aber ein Man wie Roger war immer eine Person,
zumindest für mich,
die ich gern spielen sah
und dessen wort man vertraut,
er sagt was und ziehts durch!
Und jetzt sagt er er hört auf,
und jeder denk sich "woow, good job!"
du hast es geschafft!
Das denkt man meistens nur von Leuten die aufhörten!
Und jetzt kommt er wieder!!!

naja, war zwar sehr schlecht beschrieben,
aber mir fällts grad ned besser ein!
"It's not enough to be a great player,
you got to be a great person off the field, too!"
Albert Pujols
----------------------------------------
"unmöglich ist keine Tatsache
sondern eine Meinung!"
The Rock
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Beitrag von The Rock »

also was irgendwelche halb Pseudo Baseball Kritiker da über ihn denken, wird ihm wohl am AA vorbei gehen.

Aber ich kenne einen Nolan Ryan der noch bis ins hohe Alter durchgehalten hat und hey, er hat letztes Jahr doch eine gute Saison hingelegt.

Wenn er weiter macht, wieso denn nicht? Hätte mich zwar gefreut wenn er bei den Yankees bleibt, aber nur weil er das tut, was wohl jeder von uns getan hätte ist er doch kein Preller?!

Er ist da und das ist gut so. Wenn ihm das Spiel in der MLB keinen Spass mehr macht, wird er es schon lassen. Ich denke auch mit 41 oder 42 kann er vielleicht noch mithalten,.

Ich freu mich jedenfalls schon wieder auf ihn.

Jetzt muss ich mir etwa nur noch 20 Spiele mehr anschauen zu den 162 Y's Spielen *damn*
There may be no"I" in team, but there are 2 in Schilling.
Bild Bild Bild
Antworten