Erneuter Todesfall in der MLB

Was geht ab in der amerikanischen Profiliga?
- Fragen und Diskussionen darüber sind hier das Thema.
- Außerdem: Wie kann man MLB in Deutschland sehen/hören?
cäpt'n chaos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Erneuter Todesfall in der MLB

Beitrag von cäpt'n chaos »

Traurige Meldung: Am Sonntag, nach dem Training, erlitt der 24-jährige Pitcher der Baltimore Orioles Steve BECHLER einen Kreislaufkollaps und ist im Krankenhaus verstorben.

Fight, fight, you'll never win
This is your life, this is our time
This is my life, don't waste my time
HeLd VoM eRdBeErFeLd
Allstar
Allstar
Beitrag von HeLd VoM eRdBeErFeLd »

er war 23!
I lead the league in "Go get 'em next time".

Bild
The Rock
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Beitrag von The Rock »

das ist doch so egal wie alt der is.

Das ist schon übel. Weiss man da denn genaueres? Ich mein ein gesunder Mensch fällt doch nciht einfach so tot um?!
There may be no"I" in team, but there are 2 in Schilling.
Bild Bild Bild
HeLd VoM eRdBeErFeLd
Allstar
Allstar

hitzschlag und daraus resultierendes multi-organversagen ....

wer weiss, was der junge immer so eingworfen hat ....

Bild
Mad-Matt
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Beitrag von Mad-Matt »

über die toten nur gutes jungs
We ain't good... but we are funny! ~ Tom Ford
Arnold Layne
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Beitrag von Arnold Layne »

Wieso, hasse Angst, er hetzt dir noch post mortem seine anwälte auffen hals?? :lol:
Aber die Frage muss gestattet sein, wenn ein 23-jähriger Top-athlet auffem ball field an einem kreislaufkollaps stirbt - wenn ich auch begründete Zweifel darab habe, dass wir das hier klären können...
-Anything free is worth what you pay for it.
-Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of - but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards.
-Don´t try to have the last word. You might get it
---Robert A. Heinlein

Arnold
jr
Allstar
Allstar
Beitrag von jr »

Hier wird das sicher nicht geklärt. Aber ich bin sicher das die Amis da noch genaueres finden werden.
Erinnert auf jeden Fall stark an die Sache mit C.Stringer von den Vikings damals...
G.A. Zelle
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Beitrag von G.A. Zelle »

Zum Glück kennt Ihr das Wort "Pietät" nicht, sonst könntet Ihr es wohl allenfalls falsch buchstabieren...

:burning:
"You can observe a lot just by watching." - Yogi Berra
Arnold Layne
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Da schwingt jetzt aber einer die ganz große Anstands-Keule... Ich glaube nicht, dass es auf ein Mangel an Pietät zurückzuführen ist, wenn man sich kritisch mit dem Todesfall eines Sportlers befasst...
Aber ich begrüße natürlich den ehrlichen Versuch, Moral und Anstand in diesem Forum hoch zuhalten... :top:

P.S.: Wenn du wüsstest, was ich alles für tolle Worte kenne und buchstabieren kann... :o
-Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of - but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards.
---Robert A. Heinlein

Arnold
HeLd VoM eRdBeErFeLd
Allstar
Allstar

naja - warten wir doch einfach die autopsie am (ich glaube) donnerstag ab ...

Bild
G.A. Zelle
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Beitrag von G.A. Zelle »

Arnold Layne hat geschrieben:Da schwingt jetzt aber einer die ganz große Anstands-Keule...
Für meine großen Keulen bin ich ja schliesslich bekannt :)
Arnold Layne hat geschrieben:Ich glaube nicht, dass es auf ein Mangel an Pietät zurückzuführen ist, wenn man sich kritisch mit dem Todesfall eines Sportlers befasst...
Unter "kritisch" verstehe ich aber nicht das Äussern von primär negativen und wage Vermutungen. Wo bleibt die Analyse der Fakten und deren Abwägungen? War nicht Markus Babbel, z.B. ein kerngesunder Sportler, bevor er plötzlich von einer beinahe tödlichen, kaum bekannten Krankheit erfasst wurde? Ich finde halt, es sollte uns in solch einem Fall mehr zu denken geben als nur: Der hat wohl zuviel erwischt...
Arnold Layne hat geschrieben:Aber ich begrüße natürlich den ehrlichen Versuch, Moral und Anstand in diesem Forum hoch zuhalten... :top:
Dann sind wir ja nicht alleine! :top:
"You can observe a lot just by watching." - Yogi Berra
Arnold Layne
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Nun, wo's keine Fakten gibt, muss man halt spekulieren.
Ich sage ja gar nicht, dass der Junge ein Amphitamin-junkie war, es ging lediglich darum, die Möglichkeit nicht lediglich aus heuchlerischem "Respekt gegenüber den Toten" völlig außer Acht zu lassen.
---Robert A. Heinlein

Arnold
Cubalibre
Fan
Fan

Beitrag von Cubalibre »

Autopsy links ephedra to stroke
By Becky Dubin Jenkins / MLB.com

Dr. Joshua Perper, the Broward County (Fla.) Medical Examiner, listens to questions during Tuesday's press conference in Davie, Fla. (AP)

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- An autopsy performed on the body of Orioles pitcher Steve Bechler led the Broward County (Fla.) Medical Examiner to say that a weight-reducing drug containing ephedrine likely contributed to Bechler's death.
Ephedra, from which ephedrine comes, is a substance that has been linked to heatstroke and heart attacks. It is contained in Xenadrine, the weight-reducing drug that was found in Bechler's locker Sunday afternoon.

Dr. Joshua Perper also said that Bechler -- though physically healthy -- had a history of untreated, borderline hypertension; evidence of liver abnormalities; and had been on a diet. The combination of all the factors likely led to Bechler's death, though Perper can not confirm anything until toxicology reports are completed.

These are not expected for at least two and possibly three weeks.

Steve Bechler dies at 23

Ephedrine is a stimulant that quells fatigue, aids weight loss and boosts performance. Ephedra is a legal, over-the-counter medication.

"The major concern here is that the FDA has banned the use of ephedrine in weight-reduction medications, and it has warned about the danger of both ephedrine and ephedra," Perper said. "However, the FDA [has not yet] taken any kind of action against the use of ephedra in weight-reducing medications. And, frankly, I don't see what the difference [is]."

Perper said the autopsy findings -- combined with the fact that Bechler was participating in activities that increased his body temperature, something Xenadrine also elevates -- converged and led to heatstroke. Bechler's death was officially caused by multisystem organ failure, preceded by heatstroke. He died at 10:10 a.m. Monday at North Ridge Medical Center. Bechler was 23.

"The manufacture label says very clearly that individuals who have heart problems, hypertension or liver problems should not take this kind of medication or should be very careful in taking it," Perper said.

Xenadrine also makes an ephedra-free supplement.

Autopsy reports also showed that Bechler had very few traces of solid food in his digestive tract. Perper said the digestive tract "doesn't clean itself in a day or two," meaning Bechler's was so clean that it was obvious he had not recently ingested much of anything solid. Perper also was told that Bechler took three pills -- a full day's amount -- containing ephedra before Sunday's practice.

After Bechler was pulled from conditioning drills for what manager Mike Hargrove called "disciplinary reasons" on Saturday, he did not feel well, Perper said. Perper was told that Bechler did not eat anything Saturday night because he still felt ill.

"My feeling is that, probably, he was on some quite stringent diet," Perper said.

Orioles spokesman Bill Stetka said the actual bottle of supplements confiscated from Bechler's locker is at the medical examiner's office. There had initially been some confusion about where this bottle was.

Several reports on Tuesday said somebody from the team threw a bottle of nutritional supplements in the trash as soon as it was found, which Hargrove denied early Monday morning. The emergency medical technicians who tended to Bechler in the clubhouse Sunday were made aware of the supplement but did not take the bottle with them to the hospital, Perper said.

At the time of the news conference Tuesday, Perper was not sure if the actual bottle of supplements in Bechler's locker was the one he had with him at his office. But Stetka confirmed Tuesday evening that it was.

Perper said he not know why the EMTs did not take the bottle of supplements with them to the hospital on Sunday.

"This is a very good question, but unfortunately I am not the one to answer the question," he said.

The NFL, the American Medical Association and the International Olympic Committee have banned ephedra, but Major League Baseball has not.

Ephedra is banned in minor league baseball, and players are subject to random tests, Orioles team physician William Goldiner said Tuesday. Citing patient confidentiality rules, Goldiner could not comment on whether Bechler had been tested or, if so, when the last time he had been tested. Goldiner did, however, say that random testing is conducted more frequently than once or twice a year.

Goldiner said the hard part of dealing with non-banned substances is trying to discourage players from using them.

"It's a terrible problem because what are we going to do then?" he said. "Investigate every can in everybody's locker on a routine basis? It gets to be a little [much]. ... And what happens to a player who says to you: 'Doctor, I know what the problem is. I want to use it because it helps me. It is a legal substance, and it is not forbidden under Major League Baseball rules.' Then what am I supposed to say?"

Perper said that when weighed at his team-mandated physical Friday morning, Bechler was 249 pounds. The Orioles' 2003 media guide lists Bechler as weighing 239 pounds. All pitchers and catchers took physicals Friday, and Goldiner said Monday that Bechler passed his physical, which routinely takes about 20 minutes. If a player reports any physical problems to the doctor, he is further examined.

But Bechler did not report any problems to the doctor who examined him and was deemed "fit to go" and "fit to play." Bechler had a routine EKG in 1999, and it, too, was normal.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/ ... &fext=.jsp

** na ja !! **
God greated a few perfect people , the rest are right-handed
cäpt'n chaos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Beitrag von cäpt'n chaos »

Das heisst auf deutsch: Nicht jedes Mittelchen ob legal oder illegal ist gesund!!!
Fight, fight, you'll never win
This is your life, this is our time
This is my life, don't waste my time
Andy DiLorenzo
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Beitrag von Andy DiLorenzo »

Sowas ist natürlich immer sehr zu bedauern.
Zu oft hat der enorme Leistungsdruck im Spitzensport schon seine Opfer gefordert, weil Leistungsgrenzen erreicht sind, die sich ohne Hilfsmittel (legal oder illegal) kaum mehr brechen oder sogar erreichen lassen.
Traurig aber wahr. Wer so blauäugig ist zu glauben, nur die Sportler seien gedopt, die auch erwischt werden, der lebt an der Realität vorbei oder will sie nicht sehen.

Das zudem die Arzneimittelverordnungen in den USA nicht so streng sind wie hierzulande dürfte klar sein. Oder kennt jemand von euch einen solchen Schmerzkiller wie NUPRIN, das man bei uns ohne Rezept einfach so in der Apotheke bekäme?

Außerdem sind ja die Pharmacies in den Staaten nicht wirklich mir deutschen Apotheken vergleichbar.

Das macht es für mich schon wieder fraglich, ob dieses Zeug in dieser Form überhaupt bei uns zu erwerben wäre (bin da kein Fachmann).

Und was da sonst noch alles läuft, will ich gar nicht wissen!
So sauber wie viele denken ist Baseball wohl auch nicht. Auch hier lässt sich mit Mittelchen die Leistung steigern, denn nicht immer sind es nur die besseren Trainingsmethoden und das bessere Material...
It ain´t over ´till the fat lady sings!!!
Antworten